Privacy Notice (How we use pupil information)
Why do we collect and use pupil information?
We collect and use pupil information under section 16 (Registration of Pupils) of the Education Act 2001 and by parents giving consent to the processing of information.
We use the pupil data:
• to support pupil learning
• to monitor and report on pupil progress
• to provide appropriate pastoral care
• to assess the quality of our services
• to comply with the law regarding data sharing
The categories of pupil information that we collect, hold and share include:
• Personal information (such as name, unique pupil number and address)
• Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth and free school meal eligibility)
• Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
• Assessment information (such as current reading and writing levels)
• Relevant medical information (such as allergies, asthma, on going regular medication)
• Special Educational Needs information (such as known supporting strategies, key triggers, notes from meetings)
• Behavioural information (such as suspensions, details of incidents they have been involved in and consequences)
Collecting pupil information
Whilst the majority of pupil information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation, we will inform you whether you are required to provide certain pupil information to us or if you have a choice in this.
Storing pupil data
We hold pupil data for the length of time the pupil attends our school, or longer if the DESC Retention Policy instructs us to.
Who do we share pupil information with?
We routinely share pupil information with:
• schools that the pupil’s attend after leaving us
• the Department for Education, Sport and Culture (DESC)
• Manx Sport and Recreation (MSR) for swimming lessons and PE lessons
• School nurses – DHSC
• CAMHS with your permission – DHSC
• EHAS team with your permission – DHSC
• Government Technology Services (GTS) to enable user accounts for the School ICT Network, Google Docs for online collaboration and Its Learning Accounts for access to shared resources and collaboration.
Why we share pupil information
We do not share information about our pupils with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
We share pupils’ data with the Department of Education, Sport and Culture on a statutory basis. This data sharing underpins educational attainment policy and monitoring.
Data collection requirements:
To find out more about the data collection requirements placed on us by the Department of Education and Children go to https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/education-and-children/data-processing/
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, parents and pupils have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, or be given access to your child’s educational record, contact the Headteacher at the School.
You also have the right to:
• object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
• prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
• object to decisions being taken by automated means
• in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
• claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance or directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://www.inforights.im/contact-us/
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact:
• Mr W Nelson, Headteacher and The Data Controller, for Jurby Community School.
• The Data Protection Officer, Department of Education and Children. Hamilton House, Douglas. Isle of Man IM1 5EZ. Email: email@example.com